The Sun on Grime Music

The Somalian

If these youngsters had anything positive to talk about in their lyrics they would. And artists like Dizzee Rascal, Kano and Mike Skinner have all released tracks with lyrics along the lines of "Dry your eyes mate" and more recently "Dance With Me". Probably down to their recent success after they were given the chance to shine from the belief of A&R scouts at respected independent record labels. It is labels like these who have a belief in pushing boundaries musically that keep the industry from becoming overrun by Pussycat Doll wannabes and Brylcreem wielding boy bands making a living out of covering 80's RnB classics.Instead, grime continues to evolve and blend itself in and around all kinds of musical boundaries. Wiley, one of the genre's most celebrated artists recently had a number 2 in the charts with his electro-grime smash "Wearing My Rolex" - a tune which will hardly leave you wanting to hang your dad's innards out on the washing line. As well as the success of Wiley, another grime star Skepta is gearing up for a chart hit with his Rolex Sweep track - a tune written about a macarena like dance move invented by the man himself. I can't personally remember the last time anyone attempted to hit me with a right hook whilst doing the Macarena, but then again I do not know what kind of clubs Mr Adebayo attends on his weekend off.*picture of old people doing the macarena*Rolex Sweep: Not a shank in sight
:clueless:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I half agree with himHes going OTT with the whole "I WAS A MENACE!!!" trip but...If you fail to recognise that like 70% of the artists in grime contribute f*ck all in their music then you're lost. Im the kind of person that listens to music with a message. Im at the age where I dont want to listen to a school dropout bragging about shooting someone. That sh*t is not cool and if you cant see that this kind of music does influence stupid young people then you're very very lost.

I half agree with himHes going OTT with the whole "I WAS A MENACE!!!" trip but...If you fail to recognise that like 70% of the artists in grime contribute f*ck all in their music then you're lost. Im the kind of person that listens to music with a message. Im at the age where I dont want to listen to a school dropout bragging about shooting someone. That sh*t is not cool and if you cant see that this kind of music does influence stupid young people then you're very very lost.
it does influence stupid young people i dont think many deny that BUT it still gets too much bad publicity, theres alot worse music out there. grime is a good type of music to listen to, not everyone in it is on the violence vibe. and it may influence stupid young people but whats to say they arent influenced by other things e.g. games, film etc aswell. if they are stupid surely they could be influenced by these things too.

Young people are influenced by movies and games no doubt. But its hard for grime to defend itself when most of the artists are bragging about stabbing or shooting people and selling drugs. Not even story telling like they are actually on the mic just bragging about doing it and how it makes them real.It shouldnt be used as a scapegoat for why there are all these problems in the UK right now but it does contribute.

Guest Wavy Davy
I dont even wanna read that tbh.The Sun pisses me off.Who owns The Sun btw?
News internationalPart of news corpRupert murdoch's ting, same company that owns sky digital, fox film studios n tv channels, news of the world, the times etc

Guest Ivan Drago
News internationalPart of news corpRupert murdoch's ting, same company that owns sky digital, fox film studios n tv channels, news of the world, the times etc
owns myspace aswell init

Guest Wavy Davy
owns myspace aswell init
Yea